Tuesday, September 2, 2014

First Week

My first week went a lot better than planned. My quiet signal (a rainstick I made) is working out much better than I expected. The students really like the sound, and it is clear enough that it can be heard over the talking. Also, since I am using it and making them follow the procedure, it has been working steadily.

Seating arrangements are doing well too. I have the desks in pairs and I assigned all the seats. So far I only moved five students around, and it was for vision issues and vacancies left from other students dropping the class.

I have had over 15 students drop my class. Many are saying that I am too hard, so I am definitely improving in regards to expectations, classroom management, and curriculum. I know that I used to be the "fun" teacher that let a lot of stuff slide and didn't make the students accountable for their work, but I have slowly been trying to change that. Each year I make the class harder and more content focused. This year, I doubled the requirements for the nine weeks projects I have and doubled the amount of current events they have to do in a nine weeks period (We do 5 a nine weeks now, due the 2nd-7th Fridays of each nine weeks). Several students said that I am more strict and that was why that dropped. I almost broke into my happy dance! Finally I am making headway in the classroom management/discipline department. I know that is my weakest area, so when students complain that they can't get away with stuff, it's a good day :)

I tried my first Think/Pair/Share activities which worked well. I will have to try them out on other things. I am adjusting to the online planning book that I have the free trial for. I changed how I am using it. Instead of trying to plan the whole year with objectives, skills, and every type of information I could possibly need for the lesson and my records, I now just make a checklist of the activities, worksheets and book activities I want to cover. It is going much smoother and less confusing that way.

Hope all is going well for you all, too. If you can learn anything off of me, you are more than welcome to steal my ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment